I wanted to homeschool Keilee since pre K.† I was scared.† She was in her first week of 2nd grade and I picked her up one day and said, “How would you like to be homeschooled?”† The rest as they say is history.
I was drawn to unhomeschooling from the beginning.† I was scared.† [familiar theme† here?].† What if…she never wanted to learn Math? or read?† or learn anything??
So we never did it.† It has still hovered in the back of my mind.† I read about unschooling and child led all the time.† I read unschooling blogs, I read unschooling books, But would it work for us???
I mean Keilee drives me crazy at times; complaining about work, hating Math, doesn’t want to read…. How could I trust her to learn ANYTHING!!!
Then I had told her about what Theresa did with her girls; asked them to make a list of 10 things they would like to learn more about.†
I asked Kei if she would try to do that in the next few days. She did it that day!† And the things she put on her list blew my ever loving mind!† Here is her list.† *The ‘red’ are my comments.† I would have just taken a picture of her list, but you wouldn’t be able to read some of it..seriously.† *See #16, at least she knows her shortcomings. 🙂
- Gypsies/Magic [about Fortune Tellers, their history]
- Algebra† [WHAT?? Really????]
- Italy / history of
- 1950 America† [She LOVES the 50’s for some reason]
- Africa animals, plants and wild life
- Famous historians
- More Geography
- Mechanics [how cars and electronics work]† [HELP!!???]
- History about Girls [she wrote ìHERSTORY about girlsî]
- Space; the alternate universe.† Like that guy in the wheelchair believes. [She means Stephen Hawking; Where does she come up with this stuff?????]
- Geometry† [Again..REALLY???]
- Proper writing skills† [She loves to write but hates anything about the proper way to write so this surprised me]
- Spelling† [SPELLING?? Hates this too.]
- Mysteries in history that have not been solved
- UFO history, sightings, theories and documentaries
- Light, understanding how light works and travels
- Horrible happenings involving weather throughout history.
- Lost City of Atlantis
- String theory† [What ??? What???† HELP AGAIN!!]
This just made me giddy!† Seriously. Who knew she wanted to learn about all of these things?† Where did she even hear of some of these things??
I have been struggling so much with just letting go.† Just letting her do what she wants to do.† My friend at The Mournful Cry of the Laundry said to me the other day, ‘Just give her a year and see what happens”.† GULP!† A year??†† What if her ‘Child Led” leads her to the couch to watch TV or nothing but knitting???
But,† I am doing this.† Starting today….† Sometimes you just have to…
I remember getting this bike; her feet didn’t reach the pedals.† Wasn’t that only yesterday?
“Something has changed within me
Something is not the same
I’m through with playing by the rules
Of someone else’s game
Too late for second-guessing
Too late to go back to sleep
It’s time to trust my instincts
Close my eyes: and leap!”† ~Elphaba from “Wicked”