I have been reading everyone’s post on their chosen curriculum for 2013-2014. We had plans, big plans. We had discussed what she wanted to do, Keilee had everything written down, notebooks were made. Since we follow more Unschool/ Interest Led sort of things we never have tons of pre-purchased curriculum. I’ve gone that route in the past but it sits unopened after 2 or 3 lessons.
So last night we were talking about this upcoming year. Keilee said to me, ‘Mom I just don’t have time to do everything I want to do.” I want to do some different internships, I am doing Co-op, I want to start an Etsy Shop. So what if I take this 8th grade year and do just that.” What did this Mom say? Well of course I said, ‘Go for it’. So we sat there and figured out
exactly loosely how this 8th grade would look.
We school year round from September 1 to August 31. This is not our public school schedule but that has never bothered us a bit.
So here are Keilee’s plans for her 8th grade Year:
- Internship at Dishman Animal Clinic – 5 hours a week [Science]
- Internship at Old State Bank – 4 hours a week [History]
- Internship at Morgan Co. Archives – twice a month [History]
- Co-op : Photography, Art Journaling, Drama- weekly
- Jesus Calling
- Run Etsy Store [Math, Marketing]
- Keep a blog – [Writing]
- Write Around Town – [We got this idea from Jessica at Teachable Moments. We are going to various places around town to do nothing but write]
- Tons of reading
- Plays and a Film- At least 2 plays this 2013-2014 year, maybe 3. More on the film later.
- Saxon Math/Khan Academy – Algebra I [She wants to do this]
- Voice Lessons- weekly
- Volunteer opportunities – We are talking to some people about volunteering in our community once a week.
- Various Science courses at Sci-Quest a nearby Science Museum.
- I will check into classes at Hudson Alpha/Institute for BioTechnology. Genetics is another love of hers.
- Lots of day trips to various places.
- Plenty of knitting and creating always
- Online courses with Currclick [She is still deciding what she wants to take]
- Audio Books – we always have an audio book going in the car
- There is always history in our house. Keilee watches huge amounts of historical films and documentaries.
- She has several history and Science YouTube channels that she watches.
- Sit in on some college lectures. She finds them online. Currently she is crazy about Quantum Physics!
- SQUILT Mary at Homegrown Learners has this awesome music study we plan to do.
- Mapping The World With Art- I fell in love with this curriculum and showed one of the videos to Keilee. She wants to do it so I ordered it. Here is the video that convinced me to purchase it.
And the rest….whatever takes her fancy and her fancy is taken A LOT! The only ‘textbook’ is Saxon and I am sure she will use Khan Academy for Algebra much more than the Saxon book.
So there you have it, 8th Grade, Homeschool Girls Style.
PS. All plans subject to change at any given time.
“Life learning is about trusting kids to learn what they need to know and about helping them to learn and grow in their own ways. It is about respecting the everyday experiences that enable children to understand and interact with the world and their culture.” ~ Wendy Priesnitz
“All I am saying…can be summed up in two words: Trust Children. Nothing could be more simple, or more difficult. Difficult because to trust children we must first learn to trust ourselves, and most of us were taught as children that we could not be trusted.” ~John Holt
Linking up with IHomeschoolNetwork Not Back To School Blog Hop